Discovery Farm is the go-to gathering place and learning hub for farmers and agricultural industry to share stories and insights, and to conduct business throughout the entire farming cycle by leveraging the strengths of Canadian agriculture. This business represents demonstration research projects, knowledge transfer and outreach, large-scale outdoor events, field days and niche conferences.
Our success is born from collaboration. We work with partners who, like us, have farmers at the heart of all they do.
Operations include Discovery Farm Langham, demonstration research, event services, and Ag in Motion.
Supporting the Glacier FarmMedia (GFM) and Discovery Farm missions, Site Manager - Langham will work alongside a talented team of event and applied research professionals.
This position reports to the Operations Lead of Discovery Farm & Events. As a key member of the Discovery farm team, you will oversee the Discovery Farm demonstration and research farm, trade show site, and facilities and coordinate customer events, while providing exceptional service to customers and partners and sharing your insights, thoughts, and advice as we find new and innovative ways to help farmers and ag professionals improve farming in Canada.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure budget for operational needs is followed
- Maintain current supplier agreements
- Oversee, and update biosecurity measures, and ensure compliance
- Preparing and submitting event invoices to the finance department
- Support Operations and other leads with administrative duties as requested
Demonstration and Research Farm
- Relationship management with clients and partnerships regarding day-to-day farm operations
- Maintain all relevant crop and field records
- Deliver and manage irrigation program for Discovery Farm
- Collect and submit timesheets, invoices, and proof of payments for research projects
- Ensure projects are executed at the correct timing and that Discovery Farm Langham clients are supported
- Liaison with suppliers to ensure they are meeting target dates and maintaining client satisfaction
- Manage and market crops including ordering seeds, and fertilizer, ensure planted correctly, marketing to the elevator, etc.
- Liaison with our Applied Research Lead to assist those projects, source equipment, and supplies as needed
Site and Facilities management
- Coordinate, train, and provide positive leadership to part-time employees
- Promote a company culture that encourages top performance and high morale
- Maintains quality service by fostering quality customer service standards, analyzing, and resolving customer service problems, and recommending system improvements
- Coordinate and track maintenance and servicing of farm implements, infrastructure, tools, and supplies, and budget for repairs, replacements, and upgrades
- Coordinate, and enforce systems, policies, procedures, and productivity standards
- Ensuring completion of daily operations
- Ensure site aesthetics are kept up i.e., grass is cut, weeds sprayed/pulled, whipper snipping
- Accomplish objectives by managing staff, planning, and evaluating activities and daily tasks
- Track inventory of assets
- Identify and ensure logistical operations of the site are being met i.e.) ordering fuel, washrooms, rentals of equipment, vehicles, etc.
- Coordinate and provide access to suppliers and partners to the site during and after business hours
- Monitor and keep security systems up to date
- Ability to perform physical tasks and support site staff as needed
- Manage a fast-paced environment and ensure operational efficiency
- Work with clients or event coordinators to determine operational requirements to ensure the needs are met i.e.) building, land use,
- Source supplies, rental items such as tents, AV, and catering, as well as setting up and tearing down the event
- Maintain event calendar
- Keep on-site staff informed of events and the time requirement needed from them
- Recruit additional staff as needed to support event execution
Ag in Motion
- Coordinate food vendors including preparing agreements, approving applicants, food court layout, and supporting the move in
- Coordinate overnight camping
- Support in booking supply requests required by programming, sponsorship, and sales teams
- Onsite contact and support to all contractors
- Determine and book security requirements
- Hire, schedule, and train all part-time staff to execute Ag in Motion
- Support staff as needed to ensure they are completing their tasks to the highest standard
Health and Safety
- Ensure all legal and regulatory documents are filed and monitor compliance with laws and regulations
- Ensure all staff adhere to health and safety regulations
Skills and Experience
- Experience in management, operations, and leadership
- Ability to build consensus and relationships amongst managers, partners, and employees
- Understanding of general finance and budgeting, including profit and loss, balance sheet, and cash-flow management
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills
- Stamina to meet the mental and physical demands
- Experience in a farming-related field
- Management experience preferred
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and critical-thinking skills
- The ability to make decisions in stressful environments
- Experience operating tractor loaders, telehandlers, zero-turn mowers, and handheld equipment such as weed whippers, push mowers, etc.
- Understanding of Agronomy and Farming best practices
- 3-5 Years of Experience in the Agricultural Industry (Hands on farming experience)
- 3-5 Years of Experience in Project Management or Event Planning (Dealing with high volume suppliers, vendors, exhibitors, and employees)
- Experience with Micro Office Suite Tools
- Agricultural, Business Management, and/or Administration Degrees Preferred
- Valid Driver’s License
- Valid CPR/First Aid Certificate or willing to acquire within 30 days of hire
Nice to have - Ability to drive farm operating equipment
- This position will require you to work overtime flexible hours primarily during peak season (April – October will be on site. During winter season, this position will be remote).
- This is primarily an onsite role, ensuring daily execution of tasks and ensuring site operations needs are met
Please send resumes to hr[at]farmmedia[dot]com before the end of April 7, 2023.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.