As a Discovery Farm Summer Student, you will be responsible to assist Discovery Farm with current research projects, general farm hand duties and assist in building and maintaining our land and facilities. It is important to note that in this role you will be called upon to complete a variety of tasks, including but not limited to:
- With the direction of our research scientist, cropping operations including cultivating, seeding and applying appropriate fertilizer rates for all crops.
- Conducting research activities including implementation of project protocols and data collection. Prior experience in agricultural research activities would be considered an asset.
- Crop Scouting Duties including crop staging and scouting for pest items.
- Preparation and daily maintenance of equipment and machinery for seeding and/or harvesting.
- Operation of farm and other machinery including skid steer, tele handler, man lifts, tractors, tillage equipment, grain bins, and augers.
- Chemical application to crops and pastures.
- Workshop tidying and maintenance work.
- General servicing and maintenance of farm vehicles, small motors and other equipment.
- Fencing and fence maintenance.
- Some stock work, trenching, yard work and mustering.
- Check and maintain water systems (pumps, tanks, etc.)
- Domestic duties as required (i.e. rubbish disposal, mowing farmyard).
- Experience towing trailers would be an asset.
This position may be required work flexible hours during peak season.
If this sounds like the perfect fit, please email your resume and cover letter in confidence to: humanresources[at]farmmedia[dot]com
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only successful candidates will be contacted.