Are you a Journalist with a foot in two worlds? Do you love community reporting and the new digital world? If that’s the case, the Humboldt Journal has an immediate opening for you!
The Humboldt Journal has served the Humboldt community for 113 years. We tell stories of the people, businesses and culture in our community of close to 6,000. Our regional publication, the East Central Recorder serves the communities of Humboldt, Melfort, Nipawin, Tisdale and the surrounding area.
Our online space, humboldtjournal.ca, is ripe for revolution. We’re going digital first, and looking for innovative ways to communicate with our readers across the digital space: website, social media, online publications and more! It’s a great opportunity to help create and build a new way to reach our communities.
Humboldt is a beautiful city just over an hour away from Saskatoon with a hockey arena, curling rink, golf course, walking trails and indoor swimming pool.
The reporter covers local news and politics, community and sports events, and anything else that’s newsworthy.
The successful candidate will:
- Write and edit an average of 8-12 stories for print on a weekly basis.
- Complete at least two stories per day to post online.
- Take photos that are eye-catching, clear and engaging.
- Generate interesting stories and feature ideas.
- Participate in the growth of our digital offerings
- A journalism degree, diploma or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of CP style.
- Must have your own DSLR camera and knowledge of its functions
- Must be willing and able to work independently and as part of a team.
- A reliable car and a valid driver’s licence are essential.
- Weekend and evening work are required as part of this position.
We’d consider these qualities assets:
- Knowledge of digital technologies and experience with video
- An interest in agricultural reporting
Send your cover letter and resume as well as writing and photo samples, to Devan C. Tasa, Publisher, by Aug. 23 at publisher[at]humboldtjournal[dot]ca