Are you a journalist with a foot in two worlds? Do you love community reporting and the new digital world? If that’s the case, the Humboldt Journal has an immediate opening for you.
The Journal has served the Humboldt community for 113 years. We tell stories of the people, businesses and culture in our community of close to 6,000. Our regional publication, the East Central Trader, is poised to enter its 10th year. It serves Humboldt and communities within about a 100 km radius.
Our online space, humboldtjournal.ca, is ripe for revolution. We’re going digital first, and looking for innovative ways to communicate with our readers across the digital space: website, social media, online publications and more! It’s a great opportunity to help create and build a new way to reach our communities.
Humboldt is a beautiful city just over an hour away from Saskatoon with a hockey arena, curling rink, golf course, walking trails and indoor swimming pool.
The reporter covers local news and politics, community and sports events, and anything else that’s newsworthy.
Role & Responsibilities
• Write and edit an average of 8-12 stories for print on a weekly basis.
• Take photos that are eye-catching, clear and engaging.
• Generate interesting stories and feature ideas.
• Participate in the growth of our digital offerings
• A journalism degree, diploma or equivalent experience.
• Knowledge of CP style.
• Must have your own DSLR camera and knowledge of its functions.
• Must be willing and able to work independently and as part of a team.
• A reliable car and a valid driver’s licence are essential.
• Weekend and evening work are required as part of this position.
Preferred Additional Qualities
• Knowledge of digital technologies and experience with video
• An interest in agricultural reporting
• An interest in sports reporting
If this sounds like something you want to dive into, please send a cover letter, a resume, writing samples, photo samples and three references to the editor.