Glacier Media’s Coast Reporter is seeking a creative and dedicated multi-platform storyteller to tell the true tales of the 30,000 residents of the lower Sunshine Coast, on the territories of the shíshálh Nation and Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation).
Reporting on a 100-kilometre stretch of communities a ferry ride from Vancouver, you will have the opportunity to work in a small – but award-winning – newsroom on stories that immediately affect the community. Coast Reporter, as one of the few media outlets on the Coast and as the newspaper of record, holds the responsibility of covering the dealings of our four local governments as well as breaking news, community events, tragedies, triumphs and anything else that comes up.
Under the general direction of the Coast Reporter editor or delegate, you will work independently and as part of a larger reporting team to research, gather, package and present stories for our digital platforms as well as for our weekly newspaper.
What we’re looking for:
- Someone will take on assignments as well as seek out and pitch stories.
- Someone who will build community contacts over a range of stories.
- Someone who will write clear, concise copy and take compelling photos.
- Someone who will work under tight deadlines and multi-task and who will jump on breaking news at a moment’s notice.
- Someone with an understanding of audience engagement strategies (including social, SEO and user-generated content) or an enthusiasm to learn.
- Someone with a post-secondary journalism degree or related journalism experience.
- Someone with curiosity for the Coast and telling its stories.
- An ability to prepare, write, film and edit video stories is an asset.
- A willingness to work some weekends and evenings is required.
- A valid driver’s licence and a motor vehicle are required.
Key job responsibilities:
- Pitching, reporting and writing breaking, local articles with accompanying videos or standalone videos, including explainers and evergreen content.
- Assisting Coast Reporter in implementing multimedia social strategies across the newsroom, including creating multimedia social posts across channels—including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and TikTok.
- Monitoring Google Trends and other tools to identify potential stories for coverage.
To apply, please send cover letter, samples of your work and resume to Bronwyn Beairsto at editor[at]coastreporter[dot]net, no later than June 5, 2023.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.