Editorial Assistant/Staff Writer – MINING.COM
Full-Time, Vancouver, BC
Who we are:
Technology is driving the Resource Industry in new, exciting directions, but as the industry evolves it is presented with challenges it has never faced before. Artificial intelligence, block chain technology, environmental changes, automation, electrification and other emerging innovations promise to transform many areas in and around the industry. But are today’s companies ready to deal with that transformation?
The Glacier Resource Innovation Group’s goal is to provide the tools necessary to meet these challenges head on. Rebranded, revitalized and relaunched in 2019, The Glacier Resource Innovation Group is comprised of a core of respected brands from across the resource sector and in various parts of the world, all with a well-established global presence. MINING.COM provides news and opinion on all aspects of the global mining industry to an audience of more than 400,000 professionals each month.
Reporting to the Executive Editor of MINING.COM you will work directly with the editorial team in our office in Olympic Village near downtown Vancouver. This is an exciting position at an exciting time within our organization with plenty of opportunity for growth and advancement, and the potential for the scope of work to broaden beyond mining and into the resource sector as a whole. This role requires the ability to work flexible hours as holiday and weekend work will sometimes be required.
You Would Be Perfect for This Role If:
You are a recent graduate of a journalism school or related university program with some work experience. You can hit the ground running. You have a keen interest in all aspects of the resource world including geopolitics, the environment, economic trends, technology and industry. You enjoy combining your attention to detail and accuracy with a creative approach to editing and writing that is uniquely you. You’re familiar with content management systems, image and video editing and data journalism.
In This Role, You Will:
- Produce high-quality short and long-form content, both through original story ideas and stories assigned to you
- Assist the editorial team with all aspects of the website and content, including scheduling, production, administration, research, compiling and updating online information
- Source and syndicate news, edit contributed content and produce and publish e-mail newsletters
- Track, understand, and explain developing trends in Mining and Mining technology
- Be fluent on social media in promoting content and interacting with the wider mining community
- Work to ensure a high level of communication and teamwork to help improve all aspects of MINING.com
- Graduate of journalism school or related university program with some editorial/newsroom experience.
- Good understanding of business and technology, an interest in financial markets and the economy is ideal
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, sound editorial judgement
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills, attention to detail and ability to work well under pressure both individually and as part of a team
We are certified as a Great Place to Work! We encourage a healthy work-life balance, fair treatment of staff, and clear and open communication at all levels. We’re passionate about building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We invest in education and support and encourage professional development. We offer a competitive salary, extended health benefits, and flexible schedules.
We promise to provide colleagues who are as unique, talented and likeable as you are. You can do amazing work here and we’re committed to helping you achieve your full potential but it’s up to you to make it happen. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
We have a brand-new office located in Olympic Village, Vancouver. Apply today with your cover letter, resume, portfolio and compensation expectations to hr[at]glacierrig[dot]com. Please put Editorial Assistant in the subject heading.
No phone calls please. All applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
Closing: December 13, 2019