The Bowen Island Undercurrent, is the leading online and print media on Bowen Island. Located less than an hour’s travel, by ferry, from Vancouver, Bowen Island is very close to the City of Vancouver but feels like a million miles away. Bowen Island is a wonderful coastal community oozing in charm and recreational opportunities
Bowen Island Undercurrent has served the community with a paid circulation newspaper for nearly 40 years The weekly paper on Thursdays, is anxiously awaited for its local journalism and advertising. Online we publish continuously and are steadily growing our online reach and engagement.
We are looking for a journalist to join our team, as Editor/Reporter, from our Bowen Island based office. The successful candidate will conduct all local reporting, do editorial layout, post stories continuously online as they are prepared and manage overall relations between the organization and the community at large.
The successful candidate
- Will write news stories, opinion pieces and columns.
- Will edit all content submissions from freelancers for CP style, accuracy and appropriateness
- Take photos and make selections for in paper and online publishing
- Will generate story ideas
- Lead the team in our Online Publishing endeavors. Regular content posting everyday is critically important
- A journalism degree, diploma or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of CP style
- Proficiency in all things “digital”
- Proven reporting and editing skills
- Strong and developing skills in digital publishing
- Passion for all things “Local”
- Great interpersonal skills to support community engagement
If this position perks your interest, please send your resume (CV) with accompanying letter of interest to Peter Kvarnstrom, Publisher, Bowen Island Undercurrent at pk[at]glaciermedia[dot]com, prior to November 5th, 2021.