Discovery Farm is the go-to gathering place and learning hub for farmers and agricultural industry to share stories and insights, and to conduct business throughout the entire farming cycle by leveraging the strengths of Canadian agriculture. This business represents demonstration research projects, knowledge transfer and outreach, large-scale outdoor events, field days and niche conferences.
Our success is born from collaboration. We work with partners who, like us, have farmers at the heart of all they do.
Operations include Discovery Farm Langham, Discovery Farm Woodstock, demonstration research, event services, Ag in Motion, Canada’s Outdoor Farm Show, Advancing Women in Agriculture Conferences, and the Farm Forum Event.
Discovery Farm is a division of Glacier FarmMedia.
Discovery Farm, home of Ag in Motion (Langham, Sask.) and Canada’s Outdoor Farm Show (Woodstock, Ont.) is looking for two Content and Social Media Interns to join the Discovery Farm Marketing and Communications Team in 2023.
This internship is from May 1, 2023, through to September 30, 2023, and includes two regional positions: one located in or near Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and one located in or near Woodstock, Ontario.
Duties and Responsibilities
All majors and years in university or post-secondary are welcome to apply. This internship is best suited for university students or young professionals and will be a valuable resume and network building activity. The position provides transferable skills like communications, writing and customer service, and the opportunity to network with hundreds of agricultural companies.
Interns will gain hands-on event experience through successful brand management, content creation and event execution, will practice writing and sharing meaningful and engaging content, using social media in a professional capacity, while also learning useful administrative and organizational skills.
This role will support the Discovery Farm marketing and communications in-house team executing onsite events within the Discovery Farm house of brands. Interns will report to Discovery Farm’s Marketing and Communications Lead.
Candidates must live close to the Discovery Farm Langham or Woodstock site to support content capture onsite throughout the internship. This is a hybrid working position with a combination of work-from-home and onsite duties before and during Discovery Farm events and includes our flagship farm show events Ag in Motion (July 18-20, 2023) and Canada’s Outdoor Farm Show (Sept. 12-14, 2023). The work will take place during standard business hours, with some evening and weekend work required close to and during events. During show days, the work may take place in physically demanding conditions (expect a lot of walking!).
In the lead-up to events at Discovery Farm, interns will assist with:
- Capturing updates from Discovery Farm onsite activities such as seeding, client-led events or demonstrations, farm show preparation and set up, etc. throughout the season.
- Development and sharing of promotional communications content for all events for social media, digital channels, media relations efforts, etc.
- Finding and developing content that is visually consistent with our website and social brand identity and create posts that embrace our brand voice.
- Monitor analytics to identify areas of improvement and suggestions for growth.
- Work with local and industry news media outlets to support news coverage of the events.
- Track and execute media credential requests and distribution of media updates (including through the farm show media portals)
- Set up media interviews/photo opportunities before and during the events.
- Liaise with media personnel onsite who attend to cover the events.
During the farm shows, the intern at each location will:
- Lead a team of social media coordinators that will work onsite at the farm shows creating content capture and sharing on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and other channels.
- Post live video from the event, including conducting interviews with attendees and exhibitors.
- Coordinate the efforts to capture photos and content that shows the history of the events.
- Capture interesting content moments that can be used post-event to promote and share stories documenting key highlights from the farm shows.
We are looking for candidates who:
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment, think on their feet and have great attention to detail.
- Have strong communication skills (especially written) and be willing to interact with dozens of customers and guests.
- Have an understanding of social media best practices, especially on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram social media platforms.
- Have a working knowledge of standard business software, particularly the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint); with experience on social media schedulers, photo editing software and/or Canva as an asset.
- Have a strong grasp of technology as it relates to photo and video content capture.
- Have access to a high-resolution camera (either on a phone and/or camera that is enabled for immediate upload to share event content storage)
- Have a passion for the agriculture industry and familiarity with agricultural terminology, crops, and equipment.
Please apply to hr[at]farmmedia[dot]com or submit via job posting. If sending direct, you must include the job title in the subject line. All applicants must apply with a resume and cover letter clearly stating salary expectations, no later than April 15, 2023.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.