The Richmond News is looking for a reporter to join our award-winning editorial team.
We’re a dynamic community-oriented newsroom with a robust online presence and a weekly print product.
The successful candidate we’re looking for is committed to the vital role of journalism as it adapts to the ever-changing media landscape. You’re passionate about breaking news and digging for compelling local stories. You’re adept at developing contacts within the community and seek to engage and inform locals by telling stories that resonate with audiences across platforms.
Applicants are expected to have superior news judgment, clean and accurate reporting and an interest in reaching and engaging with new audiences through SEO, social media optimization and experimental storytelling.
The Richmond News offers a varied work arrangement, with reporters dividing their time between working from home, in the office and out in the field. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
- Pitch, write, edit and post stories for both print and online daily.
- Take photos that are eye-catching, clear and engaging.
- Assist newsroom colleagues in creating social posts across channels — Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WeChat and TikTok, as well as monitor comments and direct messages on those platforms.
- Assist newsroom colleagues in monitoring Google Trends, CrowdTangle and analytic tools to make improvements to both coverage and digital publishing practices.
- A journalism degree, diploma or minimum 3 years’ equivalent experience
- Familiarity or willingness to learn audience engagement concepts, including social media storytelling and SEO.
- Proficiency in digital photography.
- Knowledge of CP style.
- Ability to work efficiently, in a deadline-driven environment, both independently and constructively in collaboration with a wider team when required.
- Weekend and some evening reporting may be required.
Please send your resume, cover letter and work samples to Eve Edmonds, editor, at eedmonds[at]richmond-news[dot]com. Include “Job Posting” in the subject line.
Closing date: November 1, 2022
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.