The Westman Journal has an immediate opening for a dedicated and enthusiastic full-time Editor in Brandon. Our one-person newsroom is responsible for delivering solid news coverage and compelling photos from this vibrant Manitoba city and works to break important stories that matter to our readers.
Brandon, a city of about 45,000, is a growing oil and farm-based community and has all the amenities of a big city, but still has that small town feel. We offer a competitive salary and a great benefits plan.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, a person who’s not afraid to go the extra mile to capture and tell human-focused stories.
We’re looking for someone who can:
- Generate story ideas
- Write up to 10 stories a week (sports, news, opinion and features)
- Take compelling, eye-catching photos
- Keep our community updated by posting to the website/social media
- Be a team player who is flexible to changing work needs
- A driver’s license and working vehicle
- Proficiency in English and CP style
- Adherence to journalistic ethics
- Ability to write accurate and fair stories to deadline
- Computer skills in a Mac environment
- A post-secondary qualification in journalism or a related field would be an asset
- Basic knowledge of Photoshop and InDesign would be an asset
- Possess excellent communication skills
If this job seems right for you, please email your resume, writing and photography samples and references to njohnson[at]glaciermedia[dot]ca. Deadline for applications is July 15, 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Successful candidates will be contacted to set up an interview.
Web address: http://westmanjournal.com